In 1920, 1275 Broadway was constructed in order to house a legal publishing business known as Matthew Bender.By the end of 2014, the building was vacated by then owner, Lexis Nexxus. Albany Medical Center purchased the 200,000 square foot facility in the beginning of 2015 announcing plans to consolidate warehouse space, primarily serving as central supply to AMC and many administration departments under one roof.
The renovations included demolition and interior fit up of the basement, first, and second floors of the building. Renovations on all three floors included new millwork, doors, hardware, framing and drywall, flooring, and accessories. Additionally, upgraded fire, mechanical, plumbing and electrical systems and fixtures were installed throughout the 150,000 square feet of renovated space.
Of particular note was an extensive renovation to the existing Café which included installation of upgraded equipment, extensive ceramic tile work, new flooring, millwork, and nearly $350,000 in mechanical, electrical, and plumbing upgrades.
AMC negotiated the project directly with AOW given our two-decade long relationship. It was noted the jobs generally lacked detailed drawings and specifications which required close coordination between the Owner and AOW. Upon completion, over 20 different departments and over 500 AMC employees were moved into the space. AOW met every department’s required move in date without issue.
A large coordination effort was put forth between the Staff at St. Peter’s Hospital, the Design Team and AOW in order to complete both projects on the 2nd and 3rd floors while maintaining operations throughout the duration.